Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Week 9 BOC: Frank O'Hara


After reading the poem Mayakovsky, I felt like I could picture the images he was trying to portray clearly through his words and use of imagery, but my thoughts would end there with confusion.  It felt as if I was flipping through the channels on a television nonstop, but flipping to different parts of his life when he found himself in different situations.  The poem sounds like he is waiting for his normal self to return, or he has lost his self, or is just finding himself, which I can relate to, constantly thinking of different memories wondering who I am or who I'm going to become if anyone. Although the events he states sound serious, he says them in a jokingly manner and light tone with no seriousness to his own words at all.  I can almost hear him grinning reading the poem to myself. His words seem random, but I can follow how one of this thoughts lead to another, for example, "Words! be sick as I am sick, swoon, roll back your eyes, a pool".  He feels sick so he feels like he is going to faint, usually when a person faints their eyes roll back and close, which can remind him of closing his eyes in the pool under water. His words connect in some weird way to all of his thoughs and emotions all at once.  I can also relate to that by having my mind feeling uneasy or feeling all these different emotions at once and thinking of so many things that are sometimes irrelevant and sometimes most important.

No comments:

Post a Comment